Wednesday, May 18, 2011

latches, knobs, levers & catches

Our trip next brought us to Maine. While there I took note of some utilitarian items. You can't find this stuff at Home Depot. The small details are what make things so interesting.


These are small handcrafted latches and a
center window stay. The knob, top photo, and it's
matching brother at the other side turn to lock
shut. The stay, bottom photo, props open the
large top hinged window. 


Door latches at my camp were hand wrought
by a black smith in Bar Harbor, Maine . 


Northeast Harbor, Maine. While photographing this beautifully
designed and built garden entry I couldn't help but note
the lever/catch. Made of brass and apparently custom,
it has a nautical feel while at the same time fits wonderfully
with the Japanese inspired gate. And it works seamlessly, I tried.
This is the matching side gate. Here the catch
latches on  to a brass receiver that has been
bent to match the profile of the round gate post.
So well thought out. 

4 comments:

  1. Are the top two stays yours? They look as if they still have bark and all. Nice touch. (Though I'm not entirely sure how the second one works....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The top two photos are at the camp. I made the locks/stay from maple twigs my sister cut several years ago. The bark stayed on, I think, because the twigs were cut in the spring. The locks, top photo, are ripped in half and given a dado to the back side. That dado, when locked, fits into a notch chiseled into the window sill. A half turn and it's unlocked. That stay is simply a way to prop open the window. A stick in the window. A half twig is attached to the bottom of the single large window and the 'stick' part, which is hinged to the attached part, is swung down to rest against the sill, keeping it open. When open it has the same appearance as a Bahama Shutter. The hard part was carving the hinge. I think it took longer to explain than make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you'll have to make a YouTube video.... I'm dense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it's my explanation that's coming up short. I'll work on a video.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I am a landscape designer based in Key West, Florida and Surry, Maine. I place much attention with the house, not as an adjunct to the garden but as an integral element. This symbiotic relationship will always produce the best and most natural environment. The best description for my views on the relationship between the garden and the house comes from the naturalist Charles Keeler, “landscape design with occasional rooms in case of rain”