Sunday, March 27, 2011

Real vs Ersatz 2

Metaphorically speaking, the windows are the eyes of a building. For owners without a conviction for preservation the temptation is, especially here in hurricane alley, to replace the older, non-impact resistant wooden windows for new, stronger and more efficient models. The argument from the renovator is, "the newer windows look the same and no one will be able to tell the difference". My retort "can too". You be the judge.
  

This 1860's house in Key West has
it's original wooden windows. Thin muntins,
wavy glass and thick sills.
 
Imperfect cylinder glass at it's best.
 
Here is a newer wooden double hung window placed into a small cigar
makers cottage. Thick muntins, vinyl inserts and ripple free glass. In addition
to the bad proportions of the sill and trim, the carpentry is extremely poor.
 
A new double glazed window in an 1890's Key West eyebrow house. It is
energy efficient but lacks charm with it's large perfect reflections. Additionally,
between the two sheets of glass is a faux muntin insert. Although we can see
this is the wrong window for a house of this age, you might also have noticed
that at some point in time it appears to have been a doorway.


5 comments:

  1. Don't you have a stash of wavy glass somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been stashing away wavy glass even before I had a house. If I see an old window being thrown away I salvage it. I also have a stash of old sash. I have stacks of glass here and in Maine.......... I need to get a better hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wavy glass stash post please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you just like to say 'wavy glass stash post please', it's melodic.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

I am a landscape designer based in Key West, Florida and Surry, Maine. I place much attention with the house, not as an adjunct to the garden but as an integral element. This symbiotic relationship will always produce the best and most natural environment. The best description for my views on the relationship between the garden and the house comes from the naturalist Charles Keeler, “landscape design with occasional rooms in case of rain”